At 16:46, Abingdon Fire was alerted to a structure fire on Old Russell Road. Rescue Engine 206, Chief 201, and Battalion 209 responded to find a shrub had been on fire and caused the fire to enter the structure through the vinyl soffit. The melted soffit was removed to insure there was no fire in the roof. Washington County Fire/Rescue was dispatched as second due, but were canceled upon arrival of Chief 201. It is believed that a cigarette tossed into the mulch set the bush on fire. Washington County Life Saving Crew and Abingdon Police units also responded.